Teenage prostitute who ‘slept with dozens of Oakland police officers’ when she was underage wins $1million after suing the city
- Jasmin Abuslin was awarded $989,000 from the City of Oakland on Wednesday
- The 19-year-old claims to have slept with 30 police officers over three years
- She was working as an underage prostitute and went by the name Celeste Guap
- She is the daughter of a femle police dispatcher in Oakland
- Abuslin says some officer paid her in cash while others bought her meals and gave her tips to avoid being arrested
- She wanted $66million from the city, claiming to have been treated like a ‘modern day slave’
- The scandal was unearthed after the suicide of one officer who was involved in 2015
- Seven retired and current officers have been charged in relation to the case
The teenage prostitute at the heart of the Oakland police sex scandal has won almost $1million from the city.
Jasmin Abuslin, now 19, is the daughter of a police dispatcher who claims she slept with two dozen officers over several years dating back to when she was 16.
She used the prostitute name Celeste Guap and claims that some of the officers paid her after their encounters.
The scandal was unearthed last year when she began sharing her allegations. It has been tied to the suicide of one police officer and prompted the firing of several from different law enforcement agencies across the city.
On Wednesday, Abuslin was awarded $989,000 by a court in the Californian city – a fraction of the $66million she had been asking for.
Oakland Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan said afterwards: ‘It is time to pay the settlement agreement to let this young woman get on with her life and her healing, but also for Oakland to step up and change the culture in the police department and change how we recruit and train our officers.’
Abuslin identified herself last year after the 2015 suicide of one of the officers involved.
She claimed to have slept with dozens of the men across the city and said some even encouraged her to keep working on the streets.
Abuslin said one officer tried to act as her pimp, renting her out a hotel room and telling her what to wear to find clients.
She said she had sex with another man in his patrol car and that others warned her of hot spots where authorities were carrying out undercover missions to catch prostitutes.
Seven current and former officers have been charged criminally for their involvement with her. So far, one has pleaded guilty.
Prosecutors previously claimed some of the men gave her Cheetos in exchange for sex. Abuslin said at least three gave her cash.
They also offered to send her to rehab to treat her drug addiction, she said.