Well it’s about damn time!
Finally! Some “Common Sense” policies come from the Pentagon that we can fully appreciate and respect! It has been a long time coming, and to be quite honest; is LONG overdue.
According to MilitaryTimes.com, the policy went into effect as of November 18th, 2016 and will allow Commanding officers of bases and recruitment center personnel to carry a concealed firearm.
U.S. military personnel can now request to carry concealed handguns for protection at government facilities, according to new Defense Department directive issued last week in response to a series of deadly shootings over the last seven years.
While service members already were authorized to carry weapons as part of specific job responsibilities, the new policy allows them to apply to carry their privately owned firearms “for personal protection not associated with the performance of official duties,” the directive says.
It also clarifies when military recruiters can be armed, said Army Maj. Jamie Davis, a Defense Department spokesman.
“Commanders have always had that authority to arm recruiters,” Davis told Military Times on Monday. “Some of the wording wasn’t very clear, so they’ve gone through and cleaned it up so it is very clear now that the commanders have that authority to use at their discretion.”
Effective Nov. 18, the directive culminates years of work, Davis said.
Hopefully the need for such measures will never be needed. However if History teaches us anything, it’s that terror attacks can occur at anytime and at any place.
(Photo Credit: Guns.com)